This is a great recipe for beginner and time crunched cooks wanting to treat friends and family to a touch of Italy. Puttanesca is one of Italy's most well know known sauces (black olives, capers, tomatoes, chili, and parsley). As Puttanesca pasta recipes have grown in popularity, the dish has been customized with a variety of ingredients. Our version of Pasta Puttanesca features anchovy fillets sautéed in extra virgin olive oil, with chili flakes, thinly sliced garlic, capers, and plum tomatoes. These ingredients are simmered together, and tossed with briny Kalamata olives. The dish is finished by tossing the tomato sauce with Al Bronzo Penne with fresh parsley. The ridges in the Penne Pasta hold the sauce perfectly making it the perfect pasta shape for this simple yet beautiful dish.
Barilla Al Bronzo pasta is made by extruding dough through a bronze die that is micro engraved. This gives the pasta a rougher texture, allowing pasta sauces to perfectly adhere to our beautifully crafted pasta.
Ingredients 7 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Al Bronzo Penne Rigate pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, cut in two or into rounds if large
- 2 tablespoons capers in salt, rinse off the salt in running water, course chop
- 18 ounces peeled plum tomatoes or fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Chili to taste: if you are using fresh chili, you will need to slice it up. If you prefer dried chili crush it up using single-use gloves
- Salt to taste
In a skillet, sauté garlic with olive oil and chili to taste, taking care that it does not get too brown.
Add capers and anchovy fillets and continue cooking for two more minutes.
Turn up the heat and add peeled plum tomatoes. If necessary, add salt and continue cooking on a high heat for around 5 minutes, mixing now and again and adding the olives.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and dress with the sauce and a sprinkle of parsley.