This pasta dish is inspired by classic Italian flavor combinations: Tomato and Basil Sauce. This recipe features two types of tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes are oven roasted, while the Roma tomatoes simmer together with, carrots, onion, celery. All of these elements are brought together with Barilla Al Bronzo Spaghetti and a handful of fresh basil.
Barilla Al Bronzo Spaghetti is made by extruding dough through a bronze die that is micro engraved. This gives the pasta a rougher texture, allowing pasta sauces to perfectly adhere to our beautifully crafted pasta.
Ingredients 7 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Al Bronzo Spaghetti pasta
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Raw Sugar
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves
- ½ teaspoon carrots, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon celery, minced
- 7 ounce plum tomato, crushed, strained
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350° F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Drizzle cherry tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, thyme, sugar, salt, and pepper. Place in oven and bake for 7-10 min. then set aside.
In a skillet over medium heat add remaining olive oil, onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Cook until soft, then add strained tomatoes, season, and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta well and add to the sauce.
- Add baked cherry tomatoes, half of the basil and mix well. Garnish with the remaining basil.