This simple yet delicious baked mac and cheese recipe is one of our favorites. Sharp Cheddar, Parmesan cheese, elbows, and cream are combined with salt and white pepper. The mac and cheese is topped with a delicious panko breadcrumb mixture, and baked till golden brown. For a stove top version of this recipe, check out Chef Tim's Mac and Cheese.
Ingredients 8 Servings
For the Breadcrumbs:
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
For the Macaroni & Cheese:
- 1 box Barilla® Elbows pasta
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
Pre-heat oven to 425 ºF.
- In a skillet over medium heat add olive oil, garlic, and breadcrumb. Toss until toasted, about 2-3 minutes. Add parsley, then remove from the skillet.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, in a skillet bring cream to a boil, simmer for 3 minutes. Turn off heat and whisk in cheeses, seasoning to taste.
Drain pasta thoroughly and mix with cheese sauce. Place in a 13” x 9” greased baking dish, let sit 10 minutes.
Top pasta with toasted breadcrumbs and place in the oven until breadcrumbs gets crunchy and slightly brown.