Creamy Summer Pasta Salad with Zucchini, Tomatoes & Cheese
This easy pasta salad recipe uses fresh vegetables such a zucchini, tomatoes, & basil.
Chef's Tip: To prevent your pasta salad from becoming mushy, cook your pasta according to package directions, but take the pasta out one minute before the cook time ends. Drain your pasta, and drizzle with olive oil and lay out on a sheet pan to cool.
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Elbows pasta
- 1 jar Barilla® Creamy Genovese Pesto
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 8-ounce container of cherry-size (Ciliegine) mozzarella cheese, halved
- 2 pints multi-colored cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 small zucchinis, chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Fresh micro-basil or basil sliced for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; cook pasta 1 minute less package directions and drain.
Drizzle pasta with ½ tablespoon of olive oil, cool down on a sheet pan.
- Meanwhile, sauté zucchini in a hot skillet with remaining olive oil until slightly brown but still firm; season with salt and pepper and let cool down.
In a large bowl combine pesto with lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir in pasta, tomatoes, zucchini, and mozzarella; mix well and let sit ten minutes before serving.
Garnish with basil.