This comforting soup recipe combines the warm, inviting essence of fresh cilantro and earthy cumin with hearty turkey poblano meatballs to create a family-friendly meal everyone will adore. Turkey, poblano peppers, garlic, onion, egg, and breadcrumbs are combined and shaped into perfectly round meatballs and then browned to perfection in a skillet. The turkey meatballs are then added to a separate sauce pan filled with warm brodo (broth) and earthy cumin and left to simmer. Delicate pastina is cooked and finished with a helping of the meatball and cumin brodo for the ultimate comfort meal.
Barilla’s pastina is beloved by both adults and young children for its delicious, nutty flavor and miniature star shapes. Perfect for soups and broths, pastina is signature choice for a wide variety of recipes.
Ingredients 6 Servings
Ingredients for 6 people
- 1 box Barilla® Pastina
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 3 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 egg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups chicken stock, no sodium
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- In mixing bowl combine turkey, peppers, garlic, onion, egg, breadcrumbs and salt. Make Quarter size meatballs from turkey mixture. Should make about 32 meatballs.
- In saucepan bring stock and cumin seeds to simmer.
- Heat olive oil in nonstick large skillet over high heat. Place meatballs in skillet and brown on all sides, remove from skillet.
- Place browned meatballs in simmering chicken stock and cook 10 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- In eight bowls divide the pasta and top with 4 meatballs and broth. Garnish with cilantro.