Pastina, also known as star pasta, is a soup cut that is loved by both children and adults. This easy pastina recipe uses butternut squash seared with shallots and blended to create a creamy sauce. Bacon is fried till crisp and then tossed with the pasta and the sauce.
Ingredients 6 Servings
Ingredients for Pastina with Butternut Squash and Crispy Bacon:
- 1 box Barilla® Pastina pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 small butternut squash, 2/3 inch diced [4 cups]
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 2 slices bacon, julienne
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, cook pasta 1 minute less than package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet sauté shallot with 2 tablespoons olive oil for two minutes, until translucent.
- Stir in butternut squash, sauté for several minutes, then add veggie broth and simmer until butternut squash is cooked through. Let cool down a bit and carefully process in the blender until smooth.
Place squash sauce back in the skillet and bring to a simmer.
In a separate skillet render bacon over medium heat until crispy, drain the fat and set aside.
Drain pasta and add to the squash sauce, combine for 1 minute over high heat, until the dish is perfectly creamy and well combined.
Turn off heat and let rest 1 minute. Stir in cheese and butter; top with bacon before serving.