Recipe created by Chef Elizabeth Falkner
Ingredients 6 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Collezione Bucatini
- 2 ea. medium eggplant, whole
- 2 ea. shallots, peeled and cut in 1/8ths
- ½ cup dried tomatoes
- 6-8 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 ea. Calabrian chilis in oil, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Colatura, divided
- 8 sprigs marjoram, divided
- Wash and puncture each eggplant all over with a paring knife.Set eggplants on a hot grill or over flame on stove and char all over turning every 2-3 minutes until blackened and water is dripping from eggplants.Remove from heat and set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove most of the charred skin and rough chop the eggplant. Drizzle all over with half of the Colatura.
- Rehydrate dried tomatoes in water and bring just to a boil in small pot over medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside for 5-10 minutes. Drain off water. Rough chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan with shallots and the garlic on low and cook for about 4-5 minutes without turning over or sautéing. Add the rehydrated tomatoes, toss and simmer for a couple minutes. Add the eggplant, Calabrian chilis and tomato paste and half of the marjoram leaves and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add salt for cooking the pasta according to package directions.
- Add a few ladles of the pasta cooking water to the sauce.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Cook for a few minutes and add oil and more fish sauce as needed.
- Plate and finish with more marjoram leaves to serve.