Ingredients 6 Servings
- 4 cups refined coconut oil, divided
- 1 lb. raw applewood smoked bacon, finely chopped, divided
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped, fronds reserved
- 8 large shallots, chopped
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 10 whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 48 Littleneck clams, scrubbed well
- 2 cups Chardonnay
- 1 large head yellow or orange cauliflower
- 1 oz. dried Italian nettles or dried seaweed sheets (nori)
- 5 large sunchokes, very thinly sliced
- 3 large Meyer lemons, zested, segments removed
- 1 pkg. Barilla® Collezione Spaghetti
- 8 fresh farm-raised scallops (10-20 count)
- 24-32 frilly mustard green leaves
- 3 oz. farm-raised sustainable California caviar
- 1 small piece cured fish roe (bottarga), such as Sardinian gold
- Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in large deep skillet on medium heat. Add 3/4 of the bacon, fennel (except fronds), shallots, parsley, garlic, and black and red pepper. Sauté until bacon is browned. Add clams and wine; cover. Cook until clams are completely open (discard any unopened clams). Remove clams from pan with tongs. Continue cooking broth, uncovered, while preparing remaining ingredients.
- Use box grater to grate cauliflower down to the stems. Arrange on rimmed baking sheet. Add a small amount of water. Bake until softened. Use fine grater to grate cauliflower stems; set aside.
- Cook remaining bacon in small skillet on medium heat until crisp. Drain; set aside.
- Use coffee/spice grinder or mortar and pestle to grind nettles into fine powder. Heat remaining oil in large saucepan to 350°F. Deep fry sunchoke slices until crisp. Drain well then dust with nettle powder.
- Strain clam broth; discard solids. Pour broth into blender; add cooked cauliflower. Puree until smooth; stir in lemon zest.
- Cook pasta as directed on package. Drain, reserving some of the pasta cooking water. Return pasta to pot. Add cauliflower sauce; mix well, adding pasta water as needed to achieve desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut scallops into small pieces. Heat some of the remaining coconut oil in medium skillet on high heat. Add scallops; cook just until seared. Add to pasta in pot. Add clams and cooked bacon. Mix gently.
- Garnish each serving with lemon segments, mustard greens, caviar, grated bottarga, grated cauliflower stems, fennel fronds and sunchoke chips.